Dr. Nazanin Moali, a caring therapist and the host of the Sexology Podcast, believes it’s crucial that people become more comfortable discussing issues that have to do with sexual abuse and assault so that healing can occur.
In this episode, Nazanin interviews Wendy Maltz to find out more about the impact of sexual assault on sexual intimacy and the steps people can take to recover. They identify some common myths about sexual assault, various impacts of abuse on sexual intimacy, healing methods, culture’s impact, and what it feels like to develop and reclaim healthy sexuality. Wendy also shares her own personal and professional story and the next steps one can take to rediscover the joy of sexual intimacy after experiencing sexual assault.
In this episode, you will learn more about:
- The common myths that exist around sexual assault
- How people can blame themselves for something they didn’t have control over
- The issue and complications around consent
- How being sexually assaulted can affect a person’s outlook on sex
- Common sexual challenges that survivors face
- Ways in which you can support a partner who’s been sexually assaulted
- Discovering when you are ready to go on the sexual healing journey
- It’s possible to still enjoy sex after being assaulted
Healing from Sexual Assault with Wendy Maltz LCSW, Sexology Podcast, Episode 35, 2017.