Dr. Anne Hallward of Safe Space Radio and Wendy share a caring and intimate conversation about sexual healing. The tone is relaxed and calm. Together they create a safe space for survivors and others who are listening to learn. Anne asks Wendy a number of personal questions about Wendy’s own experiences as a survivor who has done sexual healing work. Wendy shares stories that are both informative and inspiring. Wendy and Anne have a compassionate understanding of just how difficult it can be for a survivor to address sexual concerns given past trauma. This 30-minute interview reveals the inner experience of sexual healing – what it feels like on the inside, working with a partner, and going through the steps of sexual recovery.
Topics covered include:
- How Wendy came to focus on sexual healing – professionally and personally
- How sexual healing alters the meaning and experience of sex
- How sexual healing teaches “simple things” such as learning to breathe and relax with touch
- Why talk therapy is not enough – healing needs to happen on a physical level, too
- What intimate partners experience and how couples can work as a team in healing
- Learning how to handle negative reactions to touch and approach touch in new ways
- Descriptions of doing a few of the relearning touch exercises
- The importance of going slow and taking a break from sex when needed
- When a survivor knows it’s safe to resume sexual activity after a break
- The importance of having clear agreements about sexual behavior
- What motivated Wendy to create The Sexual Healing Journey book as a resource.
Safe Space Radio, 1-5-2011